Rogue

As explained by scientists, 2024-YF66 is expected to pass between Mercury and the Sun this evening. In my mind, this wayward trojan’s course is the ultimate three-point shot with two celestial defenders at the hoop. This massive metallic planetoid ought to either get sucked into the corona and make for a lovely little flare or else its polarity will nudge Mercury off-course and send the entire solar system into cataclysmic disarray.

I click off the television, dispassionately wiping saltine crumbs from my shirt front and resuming my search for a bottle opener.

An hour later, I manage to drop the Chianti off the balcony, as I jump at the sound of fireworks followed by screams of either terror or delight.

Back on goes the TV.  There’s a looped telescopic feed showing a tiny burp of flame on the surface of the Sun.

I’ll need to reset the damned alarm clock.

Comments