Fridge Logic

I light the water heater in back of the ranger station. It’s old and burps flames as I shake out the match. While I wait for warm dishwater, there is time to sweep the dirt out the mudroom, and clean the treads of the boots on the tray, to minimize later sweepings.

Back in the kitchen I glower at the leaked chocolate pudding in the refrigerator. Pulling the open Tupperware aside, I find a butterscotch pudding also spilled. It’s a half-inch deep in the vegetable crisper. A skin has already formed on it. I grab my sponge.

Pudding battle won, I’m soon leaning heavily on the doorpost, contemplating the commotion outside. Scullery duty is tiring but not without satisfaction. Besides, it takes my mind off the creatures stalking up and down the lawn in their silver suits.

I suppose it’s my job to pick-up the field of saucer debris, too.

Comments