Day Residue

“Son? Son?”

Mom’s high-pitched voice is clear despite the winds whipping around the old house. I grit my teeth and measure out another brandy, choosing to stare at a spot on the worn oriental carpet in front of the desk rather than meet her accusing gaze.  I can feel it drilling into the top of my head.

Not sure whether to yip, yowl or growl, her old boxer looks up from the hearth and boofs at a spot between the mantle and the bookcase where mom is usually standing in her flowery sack dress and drooping stockings.

“Son? Son?”

I gulp the tumbler, gathering strength and look up, “Please, ma, go to sleep, wouldya?”

She goes now, slinking slowly down the wall. She always goes once I acknowledge she’s in the room. I see more of mom since inheriting the old farm, than I ever did when she was alive.

Comments