Chill

Lulu came over tonight for a platonic birthday celebration. I had had other plans. But she took down her hair. And I drank a liter of Philadelphia Blended. 

“No reason a couple of old friends can’t have a nice meal together,” she said, clearing some counter space for groceries and popping a couple paprika’d chicken breasts into a heretofore unused oven, “It’s nice.”

“It’s nice,” I grinned over the rim of a tumbler. And, perhaps it was, I thought.

Lu smiled prettily weighing a box of Stove Top and a can of creamed corn in either hand. “Isn’t it?”

“No reason a couple of old friends can’t watch a favorite old movie together.” she said later clearing the table, and popping a couple marmalade thighs unto a heretofore unused sofa, “It’s our favorite thing.”

“It’s my fave.” I grinned into a shot glass. It used to be, I thought.

Lu smiled prettily weighing DVDs of Amelie and the Breakfast Club in either hand. “Isn’t it?”

“No reason a couple of old friends can’t just crash together for the night “she said after, clearing the sofa cushions and popping a heavy head unto a heretofore unused side of the foldout mattress, “It’s just sleep.”

“It’s nice together.” I grinned chugging from the bottle. It’s sad and it’s lonely, I thought.

Lu smiled prettily weighing cast-off blue off jeans and retainer in either hand. “Isn’t it?”

Now, we face opposite walls, a shabby blanket taut between us. Lulu’s made good on her promise of a friendly evening, I think, shivering. But the evening is over. No need to call off other plans. I get up, taking the remaining whiskey and the heretofore sharpest most-unused knife I find in the kitchen. I pop out into the night, totter downstairs and collapse into snowdrift.

Comments