Skinwalker


“There is an evil on this ranch,” I alert the crew, “Can’t you feel it?”

They nod dumbly into their lunch pails. Only Bruce pipes up.

“Yea so? Whaddya gonna do about it?”

“I sense it by the stables and paddock.” I shrug, “Maybe we need to kill all the horses.”

“I sense it by the swimming pool.”

“That doesn’t negate my evil horse theory.”

“You think they’re playing water polo?”

“Fuck you, Bruce.” I say hurling my stadia rod into the bed of the pickup and storming off to investigate the pool house.

I check towels, deckchairs, and pool toys. An inflatable green ring with a toothy-grinned horse spins in the water, mocking me. Finally, I pop open the filter and find the evidence I seek. It’s clogged with horse hair.

“Who’s stupid now?” I grin returning to my truck for the carrots I have been soaking in kerosene.

Comments