Requiem

After months lost at sea, I’ve realized that I don’t have cabin-fever, but am actually featured in a droll PBS miniseries about the Northwest Passage. 

René Auberjonois also stars.

We’re running out of supplies. So much has been ruined by storms and shark attacks. Gurry sharks. Very dangerous. We’re cut down to half-rations and mine are almost gone. 

I sit in the galley eye-to-eye with a boiled basking shark. The huge thing had been in our otherwise empty casting nets. No one dares eat it. I rip a rubbery chunk off with my fork and put it in my mouth. Bland. Maybe it will give me strength to investigate the treachery aboard. 

It’s one of those period mystery after all.

As I try to swallow, the watch announces “Icebergs ahead!” Everyone rushes on deck. They’re not icebergs but buildings on the horizon. We’ve found land.

It was a limited-run anyway.

Comments