Up All Night

Don’t worry, they say, unbeknown to most on earth, shuttles are commonplace. Aside from the helmets and weightlessness it’s like taking the bus.

Technicians rush me into a flight-suit, cutting short my bathroom stop. Now, I’m going to the moon with a pee stain. 

Otherwise it’s a routine trip, I’m told. 

After three days on the lunar surface, I’m bored senseless. I get out of the ship to explore. 

We’re on the edge between the dark and light sides. The Milky Way looms in the sky, but seems muted. Everything here looks gray, neither light nor dark. Even sounds are dulled. I scuff around feeling heavy. It’s not like expected. 

A glowing meteorite streaks across the sky hitting nearby with a thud and small puff of dust. I consider getting a sample, but more are coming. 

Thud. Puff. 

Thud. Puff. 

I duck, getting covered with sparkly, radioactive dust. 

It’s beautiful. 

Comments